Monday, March 12, 2012

Digital Friendships


Today, I read that one of my online friends is dealing with some changes in her life, and probably won’t be around as much. I felt really sad about that and said so. Then a little while later, while I was browsing my flickr contacts photos, I wondered if I had a reason to feel sad and say so, or a right…

And then it struck me suddenly how strange online friendships are, just by the very nature of being digital, and I just felt the need to write about it. So I am.

It’s hard to know, for me anyway, what relationship truly exists between myself and those I call friend that I have met online. I believe that I truly care about a lot of the people I’ve met online, and have called friend and I would hope that feeling is returned. But I realised also how very little I know of my online friends’ lives apart from our shared interests, and how little they know of mine. And that made me feel so sad, and so… distant.

I felt like writing a long biography of myself so that I could become real to these digital friends.  Show a picture of myself, so they’d see my face when they thought of me. Give them the opportunity to know me as I am… Because I love it when I have seen pictures of my online friends, and when I learn things about them apart from this shared interest that has formed the basis of my friendships with them. They become something more than just words and interests shared. However, I do equally appreciate them even if I don’t know them apart from their dolls. Because after all, that shared joy in bjd’s is there and that is something and wonderful.

…I also felt like running away because perhaps I have always presumed too much, and felt more than was there. (and that is my black dog talking)

I do believe friendships can exist without the friends ever meeting in person. The written word can be more than adequate to support a real relationship. And I have felt genuine happiness upon learning of one’s upcoming marriage, relief and happiness for another who was cleared of heart trouble, and so forth. Real feelings that you feel for your real friends.

But I think sometimes… rather often, honestly… that it isn’t right of me to wonder where my online friends are when I don’t see them there or wonder about them when they do or don’t do something I expect them to, because what do I really know of their ‘real’ life? But I do wonder. I noticed a friend’s absence and the ‘out of character’ behaviour of another friend. I wondered, and wanted to ask, but didn’t know if I had the right to do so. I guess because I wonder, too, if that shared love for bjd’s can translate into anything that can be called a friendship when so much of the interchange is based solely on dolls. Then again, why not. Shared interests are the best way to form a friendship.

I doubt these thoughts would strike me so deeply as they do if it weren’t for the fact that most of my relationships are based online. I have a husband, and one friend, and several acquaintances that I see in person. They form my physical social network. Everyone else is online. Even my family. I haven’t seen my sister in real life, or any of my grandparents, aunts, uncles, cousins, nieces or nephews for seven years, some longer. I’ve never met in person my sister’s husband. I’ve never met in person my sister’s child. But she knows my voice and my face on Skype. She turned two recently. I haven’t seen my brother for three years and my parents for almost the same. So my online life is very real to me, because it has to be, which is probably rather uncommon, and causes me to have a skewed view of the real depth of the relationships formed there. I don’t think that it is wrong, really, probably just uncommon.

I feel funny even considering posting this online…  And perhaps I shouldn’t… Because at the same time that I feel and hope some kind of a real friendship may exist with any of my digital friends and they would understand why I wrote this, it is second nature to mask our real selves online. Not hide or lie, per se, but not say more than is necessary. Like these thoughts. But on the other hand, I am more than just my dolls, as are my friends, and I do have these thoughts and they are not bad thoughts…

Another funny thing about digital friendships is that it is hard to follow the accepted social structure for a friendship, simply because you don’t have to. Online friendships are in theory and probably in practice free of obligation of any kind. So it is hard to know what the rules and boundaries are. Hard to know where the line is that you don’t cross, if there even is one. And, what if I hurt someone by posting this?

But it is only that I was inspired to say (in a sideways shy sort of manner because I am better and more comfortable with soliloquies) that I do deeply appreciate all of my online friends and am so grateful that I have them, regardless of the depth of the friendship, and even if we don’t know what each other’s smiles look like. It is just nice to have people who do make you smile.

So, Thank You to all of you for brightening my life in so many ways, for making me laugh, and writing stories and taking pictures that move me deeply enough to laugh, sigh, and cry and for enjoying the things I love with me. You’re all wonderful.




6 comments:

  1. This is such a thought provoking post and I agree with so much of it. Most of my relationships are online too.

    Apart from our shared love of bjds, I was also drawn to your pictures because you love vintage fashions. I collect old knitting patterns from the 20's through to the 70's and also magazines like Vogue when I can find them.

    Thank you also for making me smile!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, lynn! And you're very welcome :) I am glad to know that it goes both ways, and I love that you also like vintage!

      Delete
  2. I agree with lynn. A very thought provoking post. I'm glad you posted this.

    These types of friendships are not new to me. Before that, in the days before the internet took over the world, I had pen pals I actually wrote to. I had never met any of them and yet I believe and still do to this day that all my friendships with those people, even if they have long been over due to life changes and growing apart, each of those were deep and true friendships. They all enriched my life in one way or other. They were all real to me.

    I also believe, yes, friendships do start with a common interest but they grow the more you get to know someone. You open up to each other more and eventually the friendships deepens and grows as you take part in things outside of the common interest that brought you together in the first place.

    But you say that more eloquently than me.

    My take is, throw out the social accepted structure and follow your heart. If you're worried about a friend and want to ask if they're okay, ask. If you want to tell them you feel sad they won't be around, tell them.

    Chances are, they will appreciate how you feel and be touched by it.

    The thing too about friendship, relationship, life in general is that it's all chance. You put yourself out there and hope it's reciprocated. Nine times out of ten, it always is. I like to think so anyway.

    Thank YOU for enriching my life. I appreciate everything you do and the person you are.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks :)

      These kind of friendships are very, very new to me, too. But just as rich, I think... I've still been thinking about this, especially after the responses I've gotten from people... It's changing some of my thoughts and ideas, and making me feel a lot better about it, too ;)

      And, likewise. I am always so glad that you decided to PM me on DoA... and that I decided to put my location XD It helped open up a whole new place in the hobby, and I don't think I'd still be in this hobby if I hadn't met you.

      Delete
  3. Thank you for writing this *hug*
    I think it is a subject that is close to all our hearts and that we will all understand it.
    I am not terribly eloquent though when it comes to writing my thoughts - its all clear in my head but comes out as waffle mostly so forgive me if I drivel LOL

    My friendships and even family relationships are mainly online / email / telephone too as I do not live in close proximity to my family and we live a very quiet secluded life in reality with a very small circle of friends - my mum used to say you have many acquaintances through life but you can count on one hand your number of real friends, dont know how true this is.

    I do understand what you are saying about whether it is right to assume a friendship when you have never met as I feel this way too ... I have made some lovely friends online through our shared love of bjd and those friendships are really important to me, but of course I do worry that others do not see it the same way and that I might just be a pain in the butt lol

    If the person that you are concerned about is anything like me and she is going through a rough patch in her life for whatever reason she will probably take herself offline and try and deal with it as the last thing you feel like doing is putting your problems on someone that doesn't really know you and might not really want that anyway - and also its a very scary thing to open up online.. but then you get a message off a couple of those online friends asking if all is ok they noticed you had gone quiet and if there is anything they can do to help! All I can say is that is a wonderful moment, to know that people care and it gives you the added strength to get through.
    Friendship is so important and as much as I would like to actually meet everyone and see them I really do value each and everyone whether its through comments on pictures or emails.

    I would say get in touch .. it could make all the difference - and if they have moved on or dont reply you will still feel happier that you tried :)

    I know that we are quite similar in our fears and worries and even though we are half the world away from each other I think of you and always hope that you are ok.

    I love seeing your pictures and they make me ooh and ahh and always smile.
    You are a lovely person and I am happy to be part of your online world :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome Jo :) I am glad to know that it has stuck a chord with some of you.

      I agree with and can relate to almost everything you've said here... as usual ;)

      It is scary to open up as a real person online (lol, see today's post...) but... I still am glad that I did.

      And thank you :) As I said to Lynn, I am so glad to know that the gratitude and enjoyment goes both ways :)

      Delete